5 Plants That Naturally Repel Mosquitoes
Put Your Green Thumb to Use
We love spending our summers outside with friends and family, but we don’t enjoy the risk of bites from mosquitoes. If you have a green thumb, you can put it to good use by decorating your backyard and patio with these plants that repel mosquitoes.
Plants that Repel Mosquitoes
Mosquitoes are sensitive to scent, so you’ll notice many of these plants are fragrant.
- Catnip – Catnip is part of the mint family and grows very easily without much assistance. Catnip has been shown to be more effective than DEET(!), a chemical used in mosquito-repellents.
- Citronella Grass – You know those citronella candles you buy to repel mosquitoes? You can plant it instead for all-day protection.
- Lavender – Lavender is a strong plant and can be drought-resistant, although like the citronella. And here’s another reason to plant lavender: it repels other insects and animals, too. Win-win!
- Rosemary – We love plants that can do double-duty. Use rosemary for recipes and to repel mosquitoes and other insects.
- Basil – Like rosemary, you’ll enjoy having basil in your hard to deter mosquitoes and to have on-hand for cooking.
Itching to Keep Mosquitoes Away?
Shades of Green Lawn & Landscape offers mosquito control services to help keep this potentially dangerous pest away from your lawn and patio. Call us today at 765-771-9998 for more information.