Are Pesticides Safe?
And What Are Your Alternatives?
Pesticides are substances (usually chemicals) used for destroying animals or plants that are harmful to cultivated plants or to animals. While the term “pesticide” is generally thought to just mean something that kills pests, it also includes herbicides and fungicides. By definition, pesticides are used to kill living things. The goal is that pesticides kill the things that can cause harm to your environment, whether protecting crops on a national scale or lawns in the neighborhood. With such a serious purpose, are pesticides safe for you and your family?
Are Pesticides Safe?
Pesticides can be used to protect your plants or home from damage caused by undesirable organisms. However, they need to be used properly with extreme attention paid to the manufacturer’s instructions. When used improperly, concerns include:
- Soil, air, and water pollution
- Exposure to the chemicals (for humans and pets)
- Plant injury
Pesticide use is best left to the professionals, like Shades of Green Lawn & Landscape, because we know the safety precautions to take and when the treatment is actually necessary. If you are debating using a pesticide by yourself, we recommend you learn everything you can about the ingredients, how to properly use it, and how to dispose of it when you are done.
Alternatives to Pesticides
Sometimes, pesticides aren’t even necessary. Other options include:
- Keep your yard healthy. A healthy yard fends of pests and weeds. Water well and mow the right way.
- Weed by hand. When possible, manually pull up weeds. Be sure to get the entire root.
- Keep your yard tidy. Insects and other pests love an untidy lawn with plenty of places to hide. Those piles of leaves look like a safe home, and your kids’ toys hold just enough water for mosquitoes to lay eggs.
- Use beneficial organisms. Did you know mosquitoes don’t like smelly plants like citronella or basil? And did you know you can take care of some pest problems with nematodes? You can strategically use vegetation or introduce organisms to keep your lawn free of undesirables.
For Your Healthiest Yard, Call Shades of Green Lawn & Landscape.
Our services are rooted in science, so we only use the safest methods necessary to keep your lawn healthy and pest-free. Learn more about our pest control services and call us today at 765-771-9998.